From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Andrew T Trembley
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:07 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Monkey Claw Buttons

On Apr 18, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Julie wrote:
> Apparently I have these links saved at home and not at work. There
> are several sites devoted to frogs, Chinese knotting. A Google
> search should turn it up...but look for monkey PAW rather than
> claw. There's another name as well...Turkish something.

There are two different "Monkey's Paw" or "Monkey's Fist" knot.

There's the coil-style (as found by Sharon):

It can be formed around a core (as in the link above) or without a
core (as in Sharon's link), and can produce a very nice ball either way.

Turk's Head knots are different.

The basic Turk's Head is a decorative wrap or fastening, made around
a cylinder. Totally not what we're looking for here.

The Turk's Head style "Monkey Paw" is formed flat and then bent over
a core. It gives a different look than the coil-style monkey's paw.

andy

Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as
well dance!