The Tudors TV show is yet another example of something that makes me wonder, "Am I the only one?" 19 times out of 20, it doesn't matter how good or how interesting the costumes are in a production; I just can't stand to watch it. I haven't seen more than about 30 seconds of any of the famous costume flicks, like The Lion in Winter, because they just bore the socks off of me. I just cannot block out the contents of a movie well enough to
watch it for the costumes.

I seem to only be able to watch costume flicks NOT set in the periods I find interesting, like the adaptations of Oscar Wilde plays, or some of the better Jane Austen movies. (I'd walk a marathon for a good Northanger Abbey movie--why don't they make one, already!) If I do find a movie I actually enjoy that's set closer to the eras I find interesting, it's almost never one known for its accuracy--for example, I actually loved A Knight's Tale. Schlock, but such FUN schlock! (Though from what I hear, they at least put some decent effort into researching how jousting really worked, not that I know anything about that.)
And yet, of course, so hideously costumed.

The Tudors is a great TV example of my conundrum; it's set so very close to my time of interest, with characters whose portraits I have spent years studying, but I don't even enjoy seeing commercials for it, much less feel the least interest in watching the actual show. Whereas Robin Hood, which has to be the most hideously costumed piece of fluff I've watched in quite some time, is a show I can actually stand to watch, studded black leather duster and all. (At least until the overt politics finally get grating enough. It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree; quit beating me over the head with it, already!)

Am I the only one?! I'd love to be able to settle down and listen to a nice costume flick
whilst handsewing, really I would. Sigh.

-E House
(keeps forgetting which email address to use with this list, argh!)