This is an interesting thread, to which I HAVE to add my comments, useless as they are.

In the late 1930's a certain forward 14 year old tempted my Dad at the tender age of 8 or so, with Cigarettes hidden in a pocket in the hem, or higher, of her petticoat. now I can't imagine that this young lady invented a new thing, and can certainly imagine someone sewing a Pocket for documents into a petticoat at any age in the past. If I didn't hide them in my corset as was suggested earlier, I would definitely have had them sewn into my petticoat.

Kitty in Somerset, PA