Why not get a treadle and use it as a treadle? Over on treadleon at quiltropolis we all actually use the antique machines. Best straight stitch ever. My preferred method of sewing, actually. But, if you want just the table, I'm sure you can find one locally on ebay or craigslist or freecycle- I see them advertised alot. You should be able to pick up a decent one for less than $100, perhaps even for free as sometimes people just want them out of the house and unless one of us treadle-loving people is around, they are often considered junk. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it won't take long for you to find one. It took me a year to find my first one, now they just show up without me having to look at all. I have severe overstock but live on the wrong side of the country from you.
-Megan

On Apr 20, 2007, at 9:15 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:

I assume you have already checked/posted on Craig's List?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:h-costume- [EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 1:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] Antique treadle sewing machine cabinets

I am thinking of getting a second sewing machine table, to put a modern machine on. I really love the antique treadle tables with an iron base,
and, the great part, a big hinged fold-out leaf on the left side on
which you can support long skirts while sewing them. They are really
attractive and useful pieces of furniture. OK, the drawers aren't very
big; but I don't really expect sewing machine table drawers to do much
more than hold a few things like bobbins and scissors.  I have other
furniture for real storage.

Anyway, I already have a lovely oak sewing table, which is from my old
childhood antique treadle machine that my parents sent to me when we
moved into this house. I took the machine itself out, gave it away to
someone, had the hole filled up with a nice piece of antique oak, and
put my Viking on top.

Now I want a second one. But, since I didn't even buy the first one in
the San Francisco area, I'm not sure where to buy another one. What with
the cast iron base, they're not the lightest items to ship, so I'd
rather buy one locally if I can.

What I'm working around to asking is, does anyone know where to buy such a table/cabinet in the San Francisco Bay Area? I would rather have one that I did not have to take the machine out of and then find someone who
wants the machine, but I will do that if necessary.

Thanks for any info.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com