Greetings,

In the wills and inventories I work with the only reference to any sort of holder or container for thread has been "4 bowttes of blacke thred", which I took to be bolt (from the 1543 will of the "porter of of the King's Wardrobe"). Otherwise they just specify colour or colour and amount of thread, and sometimes fiber if it is silk. Yarns and wools they tend to get more descriptive about. Thread is mentioned extremely rarely, aside from the above exception, I have only found it in Drapers or Tailor's wills and inventories. Although, I'm sure it would also turn up in other similar trades such as silkwomen, I just haven't gathered any of their probate documents yet.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Danielle