Right. The 30 foot rule often applies in theatre.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Catherine Kinsey
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 6:45 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] Re: Theatrer vs Historic

from Sharon:
Thoughts:
 -30 second costume changes.
 -$300 costume budget for the whole show-12 actors.
 -Director's vision-often more artistic than historically accurate, so
you
try and compromise.
 -Lack of a crew to make everything you envision. Sometimes it just
comes
down to not enough time. You put someone in something close, just so
they
can go onstage in something other than their own clothes.

   Bingo!  Especially in local community theater, altho the available
$$ are often much less.

I've been pulled back into theater work the last year or so precisely
because of my historic background.  Fortunately I had directors who
wanted to try for some historic accuracy, even if they had not the
slightest idea of what it was :).  Also fortunately I had a better
perspective of theater work and quickly learned not to tear my hair out
just because the stitching wouldn't pass historic muster.

Ann W. mentioned Mel Gibson and The Patriot, how the film claimed to
have done meticulous research, yet there were obvious (at least to us :)
), costuming compromises.  I find over the years I am more tolerant of
costuming fudges if the overall look is cohesive but this still bugs me.
 If historic accuracy is so important to them that they want to
advertise it, then I think they need to care about those details a
little more.  They might be surprised at how many folks would care,
something a lot of rennfaires seem to be forgetting.

Catherine