have a question regarding Blackwork.  How do you embroider on a cuff?
If you make a chemise and want to do blackwork on a cuff whats the
best wa y to do it?  Lynn

Embroidering a cuff depends on what kind of cuff you are doing. As we
were talking about Blackwork I presume you are talking about counted
patterns.  I measure the wrist and add an inch. Then I decide how wide
I want the cuff, usually about 2 ". I draw this with a pencil on
linen, careful to follow the line of the thread of the linen. If it is
hard to see, I draw a thread, measure 2" then draw another thread.
This way I know it is straight.

I count the pattern and divide be the number of threads. If the design
is 10 spaces high, for example, and I want to fill 1" which is say 49
threads I round it off to 5 threads per stitch. It will come out
slightly larger than 1", but works. This is ONLY for ADVANCED
embroiders.

However, for a beginner, I would say use the waste canvas you can get
at most hobby stores. They are much easier to work with. You baste
them over the area as a guide. Work the design. You can also do a
sleeve without a cuff this way.

I then cut out the cuff and proceed as usual. For a collar I do the
same, draw in pencil, embroider, then cut out. I work then on scrap
linen and run water soluable (school glue) around the edges so it
doesn't unravel. For a sleeve without a cuff, I finish the sleeve
first if there is it is large enough. If not, I at least sew down far
enough to make sure the design matches up.

--
Aspasia Moonwind