On Thu, 10 May 2007, E House wrote:

My thought (on the February image) was always that it was due to lice or the like...

-E House

Actually I think it's just artistic conventions--they just didn't draw the pubic hair. You see this in the depictions of the human body in 12th and 13th century art as well. I don't really pay attention anymore to European art past the 14th century so I can't speak to that, but I can say that I haven't seen body hair of any sort on any depictions of the nude human body before 1400.

I have never seen any mention of shaving body hair during that time period either, but that only means I've never seen any, not that such doesn't exist. There might be a mention in medical treatises but I haven't done much study of medieval medical practice past humoral theory.

Jen