In a message dated 5/30/2007 11:13:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Or   appliques of wool or silk and gold cord stichet on by  machine.

*******************

There are some amazing things made now to help you with applique. I used
this stuff that was, not sticky as in gooey, but a heat activated bonding
material that clung to whatever you wanted before any heat was applied, so you
could move it around if you wanted, but it stayed put if you didn't peal it up.

It did not become permanent until you blasted it with the iron. It had paper on
 both sides since both sides of the bonding stuff was clingy. You drew on one
 side of the paper the design elements you wanted, then pulled the other,
unmarked paper off and bonded the whole uncut thing to the back of your
decorative fabric. Then cut it out [the edges resisted fraying after being
bonded]
then placed all the elements where they needed to go, moving them and
adjusting them as needed [they cling to the fabric] and when you got things in
place,
blasted them with steam and heat. They were now on for good.

I did this with velvet even, using a velvet board and ironing from the  back.
Since it clings really well, I could pick up the whole thing and turn it
over.
Since all the red seems to be outlined in gold cord, this might work out
well for you. I ran around all my appliques with a tight zig-zag, but you could

get away with a wider one just to make sure everything is down and not going
to  fray, then cover it up with gold braid or whatever. It'll still be time
consuming, but look great!