At 17:28 11/06/2007, you wrote:
I have a friend who wants me to make him a costume for an  American colonial
Town Crier. He says he's seen an illustration with the Crier in, judging from
what he describes, as an English Smock. Would this  be so? Of course I want
him in a coat and waistcoat [even if the smock is correct, I still have to do
breeches and a shirt]. He may just not want to fool  with a coat ["It's
hot."]. I wondered if the Crier was some kind of city  official...like with a
uniform or something to indicate his office. I suppose that might depend on the
town.

Any thoughts and/or directions on research would be greatly  appreciated.

If you Google Town Crier, (Images) you will find a number if pictures of Town Criers, all in pseudo 18th century gear. This is what I remember from my childhood in Stratford on Avon. See also "Beadle", who was a similar status official.

Suzi