Treat it like a real interview. Dress nicely, speak intelligently but politely.
If you don't have time to do some background reading, express an interest in
learning and being guided. If you tend to be shy, let them know you are
interested in improving your communication skills speaking to the public
(you'll be surprised - excellent and relevant experience for other jobs, not to
mention job interviews!)

 I'm shocked by the stories I'm heard of the number of people that are
interviewed for jobs at historic sites and don't even bother to skim the
information pamphlets available in the entrance! Read that and memorize what
you can, at least, even while you are waiting for your interview. That might
show more horse sense than all the others being interviewed.

The trendy thing nowadays is asking applicants to provide an example of a time
that you had to deal with a difficult situation, customer, etc. Try to think of
something, even if it seems pitiful at the time - like, "when my sister tries
to pick a fight with me, I just walk away and refuse to fight". A safe response
might be, "I asked my supervisor for advice to deal with the situation".

Try to demonstrate good judgement and common sense and a willingness to follow
the guidance of the staff. Don't contradict the permanent staff in front of
visitors. Don't use your volunteer position as an opening to grind your own axe
- mouth off to the public about your personally held political beliefs, etc. or
old cliches about the past. At the same time, a volunteer shouldn't have to
tolerate harassment from the public - like sexual harassment from male
visitors, for example, or rascist rants. If it's a mediocre site, be prepared
to accept and repeat their mouldy-oldy party line about the olden times.

Ask a few questions yourself - how many hours they want to to volunteer, what
kind of role do volunteers play - cleaning, interpreting, cash, shop, general
dogsbody? Will you be in period costume or in their uniform? How many
volunteers and how many staff they have? Do they have large events or school
programs? Do they have a "Friends of " group? Who are they funded by - state or
local government?

Our WWI group volunteer yearly at John McCrae House, the author of "In Flanders
Fields". At first the site wasn't very interested - shy of reenactors.  Now we
volunteer every year. I think it helped that no one in our group was an
aggressive or wacko reenactor type - we just wanted to help out the site, show
off our cool original artefacts and interpret a period / war that was somewhat
neglected. We are all pretty moderate, helpful types and in return the staff
and regular volunteers provide some great chili! I have a lot of respect for
teachers after a day of volunteering - I'm exhausted after talking to visitors
all day.

I'd do some background reading first. That's a lie - I'm a librarian so I'd do
lots of reading! The local public library can probably supply information on
the background of that particular site and the family that lived there, general
background reading of historical events of that time period, etc. If you Google
"Harriet Beecher Stowe", for example, I believe there is a full text version of
the American Woman's Home (or whatever it was called) online. Know something
about domestic arrangements, standards of living and farming. Modestly let them
know you prepared for the interview?

If you aren't accepted this year, don't take it personally. They probably don't
"hate" you. Maybe they can only accept a few people and one person was just an
teensy, weensy bit better in the interview. People respect you when you keep
trying. Apply again next year or somewhere else and prepare a little more next
time.

I'm obviously middle-aged - I'm so full of advice!

Sheridan Alder