On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, michaela de bruce wrote:
> > In Dutch it means "to try" now (according to babelfish anyway), so the
> > context is going to be very important.
>
> If it's Rumpolt (which I use quite often in experimenting with
> vegetable dishes) it's a noun anyway, not a verb.

This may be way off, but in Norwegian we use the verb "traktere", and
one of its meanings is to serve food and/or drink. Usually (nowadays,
anyway) it implies some kind of extra effort made in the serving, that
the person doing the traktering is aiming to please. Another meaning is
simply to treat/handle. The etymology is from norse "traktera" from the
latin "tractare", as far as I'm able to make out (from the best online
Norwegian dictionary;
http://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/ordboksoek/ordbok.cgi?), the same
etymology as the English word "treat".

Ingrid

--
This email has been scanned for viruses & spam by Domenebutikken -
www.domenebutikken.no