Agreed-- especially since some of the other Speisen und Trachten combos refer
to fowl and fish!

Astrida

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Ingrid G. Storrø
Sent: Mon 7/2/2007 2:09 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: RE: [h-cost] WOT Bjarne,

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Schaeffer, Astrida wrote:
>  >> The phrase:
> >> "Vom Ochsen seind drei und achtzigerlei Speise und Trachten zu
> machen"
>

> Well, my German mother thinks Trachten is still clothing in this
> context, as that's the term for folk clothing. Specifically for this
> case, the leather pants that comprise part of the gear. This could then
> literally be a reference to the use of the meat --and hide-- of the ox.
> Hard to tell without more of the original quote...

A google search on the phrase gives this page
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:p5MmvIoKn78J:www.ravenstreet.org/Tirloch/ein%2520neu%2520kuchbuch%2520-%2520transcribed%2520pages......pdf+vom+drei+und+achtzigerlei&hl=no&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=no&client=firefox-a
In the document 83 foods/dishes are listed as being made from the ox,
which would probably mean that Trachten in this context isn't clothes
since 83 is given as the combined number of Spesien and Trachten.

Ingrid

--
This email has been scanned for viruses & spam by Domenebutikken -
www.domenebutikken.no