Thanks, Fran, for your very helpful hints~!

I hadn't thought this might be mold... hmmm... Yes, I live in the
mid-Atlantic on the beach, and we have a considerable humidity issue
year-round. Especially since the woman lives in a condo right on the
beach. And yes, these are definitely brown, not black, stains, and the
fabric was never used, only folded and stored for decades. How she
stored it, I have no idea but I could ask next week. Could have been a
nice trunk or chest, or it could have been a cardboard box at the bottom
of the closet. I just don't know.

I've no problem with oxy-bleaching the linens, but what about the silk?
I know bleach will melt silk, is oxybleach the same threat? Since it
isn't a high-shine silk to begin with it might be ok. Cutting around the
brown stains isn't really an option. I'll try the Oxyclean and see how
it comes out. Next step would be dyeing, but I worry about getting an
even job. I guess if all else fails I could get "artistic" with it. ;D

Linda