Great scan! I too was almost positive I'd seen a larger image posted on some list somewhere, though I could easily be thinking of some other chemise with similar black ribbons.

It looks to me like the black ribbons are laced through loops on the stem end of each tulip, so surely the tulips will need to be metal-based for this to work, right? The loops appear to hold their shape rather than pulling out of shape under the pressure, which screams metal to me.

-E House
(I've really got to start experimenting with cast pewter.)