My grandmother did the "dampen and chill" method for ironing the cotton
muslin curtains in our house. She made them for every room, including
the mile-a-minute crochet lace to go on them. After she got too old to
do it, my mother took up the tradition. Me, I barely have curtains at
all, and the ones I do are not the ironing kind.

I always thought they did it because they couldn't get to the whole
stack of curtains at once, so putting them in the refrigerator kept any
chance of mildewing from happening. (We didn't have AC at that time)
That, and having the fabric uniformly damp was faster and easier than
refilling the water reservoir on the iron all the time.

Just now, I found this on the web-

<begin>
This is quoted from the book Laundry by Robert Doyle- he founded the
wardrobe dept of a live theater and also was one of the first
instructors at Costume Studies at Dalhousie University.   He gives the
reason for chilling the fabrics.

"after drying, garments to be ironed are best sprinkled with warm water
to dampen them thoroughly, then each garment rolled up into a tight
ball, placing each into a plastic bag and into the refrigerator for a
couple of hours so that the items are thoroughly dampened and chilled.
.... then with a dry iron, set at the cotton setting, proceed to iron
out the wrinkles ...   the dampened and chilled garments will iron more
efficiently since the iron glides effortlessly over the chilled fabric."

He also writes that heavier irons work better than lightweight ones and
that a dry iron with a mist bottle works better than a steam iron.  This
is on cotton and linen fabrics.
<end>

So, still no date or "ah ha" moment, but one can deduce that the
practice must have started sometime after refrigerators became common
household appliances. It would not have been mentioned in a book in 1894
because people were still using actual ice boxes at that time, which
really weren't big enough to toss in sheets and such! At least that's my
theory, YMMV. :D
(Interesting info on the history of refrigerators, here:
http://www.history.com/exhibits/modern/fridge.html)

::Linda::