In a message dated 10/1/2007 4:20:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My  husband is looking for a not very fancy great coat for pirate events.  He
 wants to be more merchant than showy pirate.

Who has a good pattern  that's not going to require full on tailoring,
padstitching,  etc.

****************

Well, it depends on WHEN he wants to be a pirate. There isn't a "pirate"
period, y'know....though most famous ones tend to be the early 1700's or there
abouts. The Capt. Hook look. So a "pirate coat" is just a coat anyone might
wear in the period you choose.

I've made 2 for different people who wanted a "typical" pirate. I used a
pattern from "The Cut of Men's Clothes" by Norah Waugh.... diagram XVII, pages
62 and 63. I followed the pattern exactly for the 1st coat, but the back is a
bit narrow across the shoulders for a comfy modern fit so the 2nd one  got a
wider back. I cut them with no padding or any inner structure like  you might
find in a modern coat. None of that kind of tailoring is  required. They look
like a "piece of cloth"...which is appropriate. I also  distressed them with
some dye and paint and bleach so they looked like they had  spent a lot of time
at sea. One I made in heavy linen, the other  in burlap. Both were lined with
cotton. The biggest expense were the many  buttons. One used metal buttons
[looks more military-like] The other bone.

I also made non-matching breeches from the diagram in "The Cut of Men's
Clothes" that comes before: Diagram XVI on page 61. You could also use the coat

pattern from this diagram...but I think without the fancy pocket and cuff.

These coats are not difficult to get together. And they look  great!