I have a question: I think I'm going to buy a Rowenta Pro Compact Steamer
from JoAnn Fabrics, low-cost, usual retain $80, on sale for $60, not one of
the really great professional ones. My question is this: would that
pre-shrink a high quality taffeta (12 yds x 60") and acetate velvet (6
yds) as well as pressing it would and as safely? It would be easier to hang
the fabric and slowly steam it the entire length than it would be to press
it - it would be done unevenly since my ironing board isn't 60" wide. I
didn't really think the iron would be what would pre-shrink the fabric but
the steam/heat would and that could come from the steam. Am I right?

Costume content: the taffeta will make an 1880 ball gown for my daughter and
the velvet is for a Vintage Vogue pattern 1938(?) evening gown.

LynnD