Sharon wrote:
>At 6:55 AM -0700 1/18/08, Saragrace Knauf wrote:
>>Ah Ha!
>>http://www.museothyssen.org/thyssen_ing/coleccion/obras_ficha_zoom605.html
>>
>>I suppose one could argue this isn't a shirt, but I've never seen an
>>under dress with this kind of cuff...
>
>The portrait shows the garment as being lined, however -- or
>magically blue on the outside and red on the inside. Whatever it is,
>I really don't think this is persuasive evidence for colored
>underwear (shirts).

To me, the clincher is that you *can* see a shirt or partlet in the front gap
of the gown, at and below the neckline -- and it's white, just as one would
expect. There's no sign of the blue-and-red garment in that front opening,
which to me says that it must be open all the way down the front. I've never
seen a cuff like that on an underdress either, but I'd be more willing to
accept that it's an undergown with odd cuffs than a shirt that is open all the
way to the waist :).