To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:16 PM
Subject: RE: [h-cost] OT: quick fabric washing question

Linen shrinks an enormous amount. Especially if it is not pre-washed. Most
linen used in Mfg. is not prewashed/preshrunk because the finish will come
off and it will look terrible. The linen garment is also usually tailored
differently than denim. The fibers of linen react much dirrerent than cotton to water. Lots of denim today is preshrunk and "distressed", so a lot of the
shrink factor is gone by the time it is cut and sewn.

Monica