Well, my husband and I usually pick up hankies at garage sales and use them.
However, we are middle-class working folks, so lots of lace and embroidery
wouldn't be a good choice for us.

I would say a square of linen, hemmed (maybe with hem-stitch?) and a bit of
embroidery would be fine...lace if he wants to be pretensious or "make an
impression" with the nobles. Remember, lace is EXPENSIVE at this time, so he
would have paid a pretty penny (or pound!) for it. I'm not really sure about
the monogram.

I can offer, if interested, blackworking a muckinger for you/him. Contact me
privately if you're interested!

Rebecca Schmitt
aka Mistress Agness Cabot, Guilde of St. Lawrence at the Dirty Duck Inn
Bristol Renaissance Faire

My arms are too short to box with God.  --Johnny Cash