In a message dated 2/20/2008 4:50:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The only  thing I have
>thought of is to go to a library but than I wonder, where  to begin
>digging deep into the collection to find original sources of  info.

The notes in secondary sources should send you to the primary sources, many
of which you may have access to--see below.

Your local university libary probably has its catalogue on-line. I, for
example, live near the University of Maryland.  If I find a primary source
listed
in a book, the first place I look is the Maryland card catalogue.   It is
absolutely amazing what is available there on microfilm.  (Godey's  Lady's Book
and Peterson's magazine, for example, both great sources for the  second half
of the nineteenth century, should be available on microfilm--the  only drawback
is that they are in black and white, not color.)  As was  pointed out, you
can usually walk in and use a university library, no questions  asked.  If you
live near the institution from which you graduated, check on  alumni
privileges.  Some allow members of the alumni association borrowing
privileges.  I
splurge for the $150 Friends of the Library membership at  Maryland because
that
also gets me inter-library loan privileges.

I don't know how other state work, but, here in Maryland, if one has a
public library card, one can access almost all the other libraries in the state

and have books from those other libraries sent to your local one--again, you
can
 do the hunting and the requesting on-line.  This is probably not so useful
for primary source material, but may help you find that sought-after
out-of-print 20th century costume book.

It's all about the hunt, you know--you just keep going and going.

Ann Wass

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)