In a message dated 2/21/2008 11:11:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

However,
I recall quite a few of those basic costume through history books on
our library shelves that were printed I guess mainly for kids doing
reports on a specific time period or someone doing a play.

I am one of the authors for a series on American costume that Greenwood
Publishing has commissioned.  Their target market is primarily this sort of
thing--reference books for public libraries and university libraries.
However,
I'm really being put through my paces to include as much primary  resource
material as I can, and also to provide what they call a "rich"  reference list
for
those who want to delve further.  I have tried to track  down those stories
for my period (Federal era--1785-1820) and, if I can't find  an answer, I say
so--a couple of times I've been frustrated that I have come up  against a dead
end for some of those things that have been floating around  seemingly forever.
 Also, my first chapter is an overview of US history,  and I've similarly
found that even recent US history surveys get things wrong,  or, at least, not
exactly right.  Alas, I can't tell you yet when the  series will come out, but
I'm confident that, when it does, the volumes will not  be in the "bad books"
category.

Ann Wass

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)