I could go on, but I don't have the time for a long post. If I were speaking, it would take me an hour just to give you a good overview, and more to examine any one of these angles (as I know for a fact, as I've built multiple lectures around this issue). Other people are supplying good examples of specific artworks that might be useful for the class in question. But there's no shortage of material.

--Robin

Hi, OP here. ;-) I am loving the references already posted--my partner is going to have to play editor and prune down my list or we'll never manage only an hour. *grins*

We're going for just a general overview, designed to make people maybe think first before they say "I know they wore X, it's in all the pictures!" After that, it might be developed into individual articles addressing specifics but we haven't gotten that far yet.

We have lots of sources for 12th, 13th, and early 14th century Europe, and a reasonable amount of 14th and 15th c., it's the later stuff that I have little to nothing of--either sources or knowledge--which is why I asked. The sheer quantity of knowledge on this list is astounding, and I thank you very much for your kind assistance.

IIRC (notebook is at the partner's house) we plan to touch on pretty much everything Robin mentions--it will be a challenge to keep it down to an hour. And I do have a copy of The Square Halo. ;-)

Again, thank you,

Jen/pixel/Margaret FitzWilliam