What I find both interesting and depressing in this discussion is that
(a) judging from the books discussed, almost all the people who collect
and spend much money on costume books are in the SCA and (b) a lot of
people would rather spend money on fabric and sewing machines.

Fran

Not always a matter of " would rather"--but if money is limited, I might buy
a book this month, some fabric next month...I have to be judicious with my
purchases. And we don't use credit cards, everything is cash only. Most of
the time, if I regretfully sigh and put back the book I'd love to have, it's
because the household bills have to come before pleasure.

Dianne