Pretty much everything that Jane said below :).

I would add George W. Digby's "Elizabethan Embroidery (Faber & Faber,
1963) for a good broader perspective on blackwork and embroidery in the
latter 16th C.

Mamluk is a MUST!  I don't have the titles in front of me but I think a
couple of books by Kathleen Epstein/Staples touch on this too.

Catherine

At 01:43 PM 1/05/2008, you wrote:
>Ages ago I forwarded a question about blackwork to this list on behalf
of a
>colleague. You folks were very helpful, so I'm
>coming back with an add-on query.
>
>My colleague has continued her work and is approaching it from a
different
>angle now, and for background, she needs to bring herself up to speed
on
>what's known about embroidery in late medieval and early modern
Western
>Europe, especially England. She is especially interested in seeing
how
>blackwork fits into that context.
>
>She asks for recommendations of good published sources that will give
her a
>sense of what blackwork is and when it was done, based on specific
examples
>(art, documents, and especially surviving artifacts). She needs
sources she
>can cite in a formal paper, so Web sites will not do. Neither will
how-to
>books that include a little historical background (e.g. that something
was
>done in X century) but do not provide sources or evidence.
>
>She particularly needs definitions: What specific characteristics
lead
>historians to class the needlework on a 1550 shirt (for example) in
the
>category of "blackwork" style (as the term is understood), while
another
>example of embroidery that happens to be black would not be
considered
>"blackwork"? A source that explains the stitches, motifs, patterns,
etc. that
>are routinely associated by historians with the
>term "blackwork" would be great.

Such a beasty doesn't really exist. There isn't
one or even two books that cover all this area.
And not many articles either, not academic ones anyway.

General History of European Embroidey at this time:

Bridgeman, Harriet; and Drury, Elizabeth. (eds).
? ?Needlework, an Illustrated History?, (London:
Paddington Press, 1978) - section on Great Briton
Schuette, Marie and M?ller-Christensen, Sigrid.
?The Art of Embroidery? (London: Thames and Hudson, 1964)

Blackwork History/Techniques

Some of the best background about Blackwork comes from a how-to book:

Gostelow, Mary. Blackwork. (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1976)
Geddes, Elisabeth, and Moyra McNeill. Blackwork
Embroidery. (New York: Dover, 1976)

I also have a handout which describes what I
consider to be the three main types of blackwork
during the Elizabethan period with examples and
details for find original institutions hold the egs.

See "Embroidery for Clothing - Non-Counted
Blackwork" under "Class Handouts" on
http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/index.html

>(I realize that some people could argue that you can call almost
anything
>monochrome "blackwork" if you stretch the definition far enough, but
she's
>interested in what's traditionally assumed by the accepted
definitions, not
>ways to revise it.)

One thing to remember, most sources are heavily
biased towards looking at early period Blackwork
ie early Tudor under Henry VIII. You can find
alot about that but much less about the later
period stuff. Really there aren't any standard
definitions of what constitutes blackwork.

>I am not asking anyone here to answer those questions for her ... even
if you
>did, she'd still need published authorities she can cite in a formal
paper.
>And she really needs to get up to speed on this on her own, and do her
own
>reading. So all I'm bothering you folks for are recommendations for
>academic-quality reference books. She'll be getting them ILL, so cost
and
>availability are not issues.
>
>Bonus points if you can also point her to a good overview source on
known
>embroidery styles from, say, 1300-1600, based on surviving pieces, so
she can
>get a sense of other known styles of this period and compare them with
what
>she learns about "blackwork." I think she does not have much of a
sense of
>just how much is known about specific embroidery
>styles, and how many types of
>embroidery there were in this period.

My website:

Historical Needlework Resources - above period
broken down by location, date and techniques.
Some of the links to extant pieces may be broken
as the museums etc keep changing their databases,
but it will get her to the correct institution where she can search.

The quickest way to find extant examples is by
looking in the "Period" section, which is then
broken down by location and technique.

>No need for anything beyond Europe or outside the 1300-1600 range.

In relation to blackwork, I think that would be a
mistake - look at the Mamluk embroidery such as
the one on my site:
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/loc_middle_east_mamluk.html
and compare to the 16th C modelbuch patterns used
a source by embroiderers in the 16th Century - almost identical.

>Thanks for all your help!
>
>--Robin

If she has specific questions I can probably
chase down specific sources. I'm at work and don't have my books on
hand.

Cheers,
Jane