>> 2. Image: http://www.costumegallery.com/temp/P1030429.jpg .  These
>> medallions are borders on a three-tiered net dress.  My question:  What
>> is
>> the name of the type of hand-crochet around the medallions?  It is a
>> cotton thread very similar what is used on doilies.  I am so embarrassed
>> that I can't remember this term. I have made this type of crochet so many
>> times.  It is made by using a double or triple crochet, then chain two or
>> three and then repeat.  There are three rows of this type of crochet
>> around each medallion.

Claire,
Thank you for your answer for what type of crochet surrounding the
medallions on the dress.  Your answer is correct.  I checked several
websites against your answer...filet.  I have seen the word spelled filet
and fillet.  Are both spellings correct?  I have seen these used
interchanged.

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com