On May 15, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Bambi TBNL wrote:
> Well actually ...do you remember having the spool with the nails
> and the yarn got looped over the nail and then you wrapped again
> and...well if you ever had one...this is making sense...a knitting
> "loom" is sort of like that concept with the lay the yarn out nd
> loops come through and ..gosh im not helping am I?
> but they come in a few different forms...
> Bambi

      You're talking about a peg frame, which is not like a modern
home knitting machine and not like the knitting frame invented by
Reverend Lee in 1589.

      The terms can be confusing — Lee's machine was called a
knitting frame, a hand frame and a stocking loom among other things.

      There are peg frames from the late 18th century, purse moulds,
that were used to make small purses.  Peg frame enthusiasts will
sometimes cite the terms for the Lee frame as being proof of the use
of peg frames, but it is not the same thing.

      Lee's machine was really quite complex.  It would knit an
entire row at once (in a series of steps), whereas modern latch hook
machines (both domestic and industrial) knit as the carriage goes
across, essentially knitting one stitch after another.

      -Carol