From: Saragrace Knauf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Historical Costume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 9:37 am
Subject: Re: [h-cost] wrapping turbans [was:Curious about headdress - Arabic?]

Oh, I am glad to hear there is more coming from the YWU article.  I read it
last
night and didn't see anywhere to find instructions on how to wrap it.

Sg

> Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 18:31:13 -0700
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [h-cost] wrapping turbans [was:Curious about headdress - Arabic?]
>
> Lynn McMasters is working on a series of articles for the online publication
"Your Wardrobe Unlock'd" about wrapping turbans for Regency wear. I don't have
subscription yet, so can't comment on the articles, but I saw Lynn over the
weekend at Costume College (where she taught turban wrapping) wearing a huge
turban, and it looked great. I was lame and didn't get a photo. I hope somebody
did. http://yourwardrobeunlockd.com/

> I'd like to point out that how an Arab and how a Sikh (the two cultures I can
think of off the top of my head that commonly wear turbans) would wrap a turban
is probably different. Sikh turbans for men are, to my knowledge, two layers
and
can be very large (for boys it's just the "under turban"; I don't know what
it's
really called). They also tend to be bulky towards the front of the head, where
the top-knot of hair sits. I don't know anything about Arab turbans, but if you
see a larger turban with a lot of forward bulk, you're probably looking at a
Sikh (a steel bangle and certain styles of facial hair would also be a
giveaway).