Everyone has provided good suggestions. Just one caveat: you may not make a living wage at theatrical costuming, but if you can supplement your income with some of the other ideas people have had, sewing, wedding planning, etc, you might do ok. I also think it is important to live in a city that has a lot of paying job opportunities in your field, and there aren't too many of those, outside of Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and maybe a few more I'm not aware of. I live in the Denver area and paying jobs for costume designers are few and far between.

I think you also need to be prepared to travel for short term jobs, especially in the summer, when there are lots of theatres hiring.

I don't think your age is a drawback at all. The 40s are not old anymore, in my opinion. If you choose to go to school and get a degree in theatrical costume design or construction, I would definitely think about relocating to one of the big cities where there are more opportunities. And I would try to get jobs in summer stock theatres that work with big name designers and try to be an assistant. Working for a regional theatre designer is the best experience ever. Regional theatre pays the best, outside of Broadway and the movie industry, but it is a very closed field and takes contacts to work into.

Sylvia