At 21:23 03/09/2008, you wrote:
I am working on history of fashion designers from the early 20th Century and have a few questions.

Paquin:
I have that Mme Paquin business was from 1891-1956. Does anyone know her first name? I can't find it in my resources. Also I have come across some French images in 1919 for a Joseph Paquin. Would Joseph be a relative working under Mme Paquin's label or house?

Lady Duff Gordon: Did she go by several names. I have in 1907 an illustrator and designer named Lucy and in the 1910s Lucille. Could this be Lady Duff Gordon?

This one I know - yes "Lucille" was Lady Duff Gordon.
Lucy Christiana, Lady Duff Gordon (née Sutherland) (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/June_13>June 13, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/1863>1863 – <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/April_20>April 20, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/1935>1935) was a leading <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Fashion_design>fashion designer in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, best known as "Lucile," her professional name. She opened branches of her London <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Couture>couture house in <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Paris>Paris, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/New_York_City>New York City and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Chicago>Chicago, dressing high society, the stage and early silent cinema[1]. Lucy Duff Gordon is also remembered as a survivor of the sinking of the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/RMS_Titanic>RMS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/RMS_Titanic>Titanic in 1912, and as the losing <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Party_(law)>party in the precedent-setting 1917 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Contract>contract law <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Legal_case>case of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Wood_v._Lucy,_Lady_Duff-Gordon>Wood v. Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon, in which Judge <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Benjamin_N._Cardozo>Benjamin N. Cardozo wrote the opinion for New York's highest court, the New York Court of Appeals[2]

From Wikipedia, but also via, in less detail my tutor at the London College of Fashion some years ago.

The others I can't help with.

Suzi

Can anyone suggest a book that would include lesser known designers from pre-1930s? I have a lot of designer images without an information about their business.

For example:
Womenwear: Lewis 1910s, Bernard 1910s, Klein 1910s, Nicole Groult, and Germaine 1900s-1920s. Etienne Drian, 1900s-1910s, I have info that he was an illustrator but I have images from several magazines that refer to him as a fashion designer. I have a small paragraph in one of my books about him.
Menswear: Kriegck 1920s, Larsen 1920s
Milliner: Cora Marson, Camille Roger 1910s-1920s
Hair Designs: Emile 1920s

This is just a few of the designers that I need information. I actually have about 100 designers with lots of images and no background information to go online.

I started this project to shed light on designers so that people would know other designers were important that time seems to have forgotten. I guess the fashion history books have forgotten them too. I would at least like to provide some career highlights for each designer.

I am revamping my Designers of Their Time website, http://www.costumegallery.com/Designers/ . I am about 2/3 finished with the website's makeover. Now visitors can click on the designer names and go to their pages and view career highlights and thumbnail images in our collection. Each designer's page has a beautiful background with their fashion illustrations.

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
www.costumelibrary.com