Thanks! Mike T sent me a note that the 17th century women's version might be like the bedgown-like garment in Vermeer's Woman Holding a Balance; the French written sources my online search turned up all were versions of the one C. sent (below), from which it is hard to tell if the women's version was loose, as in the Vermeer, or fitted ("serreé à la taille" seems to mean "close-fitting"; "à grandes basques" seems to mean "with full skirts", but I am just at the beginnings of learning to translate historical-fashion French). Some of the men's military versions look fitted; some look like an attempt to fit a fur-lined garment, and some seem open, like in the Vermeer. But what version would be made in blue velvet to appeal to a 17th- century fairy? ;-)

la hongreline, sorte de veste à basques longues agrafée sur le devant et serrée à la taille.

HONGRELINE, s. f. (Gram. & mod.) sorte d'ajustement des femmes, fait en chemisette à grandes basques. On prétend qu'il a été ainsi appellé, parce que l'usage en est venu de Hongrie.

So far the only pictures I have found that identify a garment as a hongreline in the captions or titles are all military, like this one. Third figure in this picture is an officer in a (presumably military) hongreline (sorry for the long link, must learn to use tinyURL soon): http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital_dev/ dgkeysearchdetail.cfm? trg=1&strucID=707231&imageID=830336&total=2&num=0&word=Musketeers%20-- %20French%20--% 201600-1699&s=3&notword=&d=&c=&f=2&k=0&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sL abel=&imgs=20&pos=1&e=w

Another question while I am here: I've been reading TH Breen's _The Marketplace of Revolution_ ,which I recommend to anybody doing 18th Century American historical costume, as to make his case he's assembled a lot of information from varied sources on the social connotations of clothing made of imported goods. Among the materials he quotes are published rants about people dressing above their station, and the threat to good order represented by maids in chintz. In at least one of these, the rant-writer is upset that even servant- girls go about in velvet. I had been under the impression that in 18th century fashion, velvet was primarily used in men's garments. Anybody have an example of a woman's velvet anything in the English colonies of North America in the 1700s?

Thanks!
Lauren
Lauren M. Walker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]