Like the ladies at Ascot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Audrey Bergeron-Morin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 3:02 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] HELP: What event is this worn to?

> "Dans la Tribune des Dames le jour des Drags"
>
> What event was these hats worn?  If I put in Google "jour des Drags" images
> come up like equestrian events.  Was/Is there an equestrian event called
> Tribune/ Day of the Drags?  I am just guessing...so the French speaking list
> members, go on...fall off your chair laughing at me.

"La Tribune des Dames" could be a newspaper, but most likely... it
also means a place to sit/stand, reserved for women. For example in
the House of Commons, there was a place reserved for women who wanted
to attend. I'm sure the same term could also be used to describe a
stand space reserved for women who want to view a race, for example.

As for the "Jour des Drags"... Drag is not a French word, so this
makes matters slightly more complicated. However, it seems like all I
can find agrees with you: horse races.

Wikipedia: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prix_des_Drags

Take a look here...
http://www.lartigue.org/fr2/jhlartigue/chronologie/jhlp-chronoimg40.html

So, in the women's reserved stand, on the day of the Prix des Drags
horse-race (in Auteuil)