In a message dated 10/26/2008 3:18:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

As a winter coat, it will need some insulation in-between the fabric and the

lining. Any suggestions?

: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Flannel

or if you can find it, line it with flannel backed  satin.

The coat is almost done, and I wish I had taken AlbertCat's suggestion. I bought something similar to thinsulate, as the LFS was out of thinsulate. I don't remember what she called it, but what I bought resembles a thick synthetic craft felt. Slightly less stiff and slightly more fluffy than craft felt.

Now that the coat is assembled, I think it's too thick. My daughter thinks it's wonderful and warm, so that's okay, I guess. Also, I never did find the direction pages 2 and 3, so the construction is probably a little unorthodox. I assumed that since there were several separate pattern pieces for the lining that they would be cut slightly smaller. That does not appear to have been the case. Either that, or the thickness of the insulation is changing the lining's fit. If I hadn't whip stitched the insulation pieces together over the lining seams (to make it lay flat) I think I would go back and add another 1/8 in to the lining seams. A few of them, at least, but undoing the hand stitching, re-sewing the seams, trimming the insulation and re-stitching just seems like a little too much work. ;-)

Well, thanks for all the advice! When the hem and buttons are done, I'll post a photo on flickr for anyone who wants to see it.

Denise B
Iowa