Take it in! Take it in! Like mutts, old sewing machines should always be taken
in!

Your repairer may be able to replace those slipping gears or re-set them; in
post middle 1960's Singers, the workings on the undersides are prone to wear or
loose-fitting and can sometimes be fixed. I have jammed around with
screwdrivers under a number of them over the years and had pretty good success.

Also have a good look at the drop-in stitch disks if it is the type of machine
with those, are they worn?

-C.