Hi,
Making historical costumes fitted to myself and others has made me so much more
critical of the ways modern commercial clothes make me look even worse than I
have to! I gained a bunch of weight over the past couple of years that I'm
having trouble getting rid of, and yet I still have to get dressed every day
and leave the house. Sigh.
The particular problem I am having with modern clothes is that things that are
big enough to go around my current girth are cut too long from waist to hip.
This gives some skirts and dresses a pot belly all on their own, independent of
mine. Is there any relatively simple alteration to the clothes that would fix
this, while I am working on the alterations to my shape? I know I could take
the waistbands off skirts and shorten the length from waist to hip, so the
skirt gets big where I do; one-piece dresses seem  to present a harder puzzle.
In fact I'm a little confused about how they manage to produce the paunch when
they're not actually tight anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Lauren
[EMAIL PROTECTED]