----- Original Message ----
From: "albert...@aol.com" <albert...@aol.com>
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:10:38 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Drafting from antique garment - question

Also popular with costumers of this period is a  slip-like
undergarment with the corset-like boned bodice and an underskirt all  sewn
together. Sometimes the bodice of the boned lining comes down to the  natural
waist even though the skirt is set on at the raised level typical of the
period.
A sheer gown can be worn over this.

Albert,

There's a garment like this illustrated in Hunnisett (the one that includes the
Regency period). I've been calling it a bodiced petticoat, and don't offhand
know what Hunnissett herself calls it. The bodice is shaped more-or-less like a
sports bra (with gussets and no boning) and has an ankle-length skirt attached.
Two of my friends made this garment at Costume College last year, and with
proper fitting it does a fabulous job of lifting the bust high enough to get
that typical Regency look. I haven't read Hunnissett's notes on this garment,
so don't know what historical basis she has for it, but would like to know.

Claudine