At 06:04 AM 2/8/2009, you wrote:

And it even is "period" in Europe - I am on my way out of town - I'll have to look for the pictures when I get home. Seems I have a picture somewhere of a young boy in it in the 15th or 16th century Europe....and of course later in the 18th/19th.

Sg

One version of the Armada portrait of QEI has what look like ikat bows trimming the front of the skirt. Look at the portraits on page 35 of QEWU. Illustration 52 is a b&w version of the Armada portrait that I have in color in two other books; it looks like the plain color bows are alternated with ikat-streaked bows that are slightly darker colored (in the color versions). The boy in Illustration 53 is in definite ikat fabric (early Jacobean).

Joan Jurancich
joa...@surewest.net