Good Morning (my time!) Elizabeth,

IMO, I would go with the Vogue pattern, for a different reason. Today, Butterick and Vogue are owned by the same company. I don't know if this was so in the 1940s. In my personal knowledge, this has been so since the 1970s. My books are in disarray right now, so I can't find my book the exact date of when they merged. According to 1919 Vogue magazines, they were separate companies. I do have Butterick's company history from the 1880s to 1920s and they were selling patterns in Australia. I have listing of exact cities that Butterick was sold worldwide from that time frame. Their patterns were sold in many countries since the 1880s. Vogue may be pulling their vintage pattern designs from old Butterick's patterns. Vogue was definitely publishing patterns in 1919, so they might be reproductions of their own patterns.

OTOH, Simplicity has a habit of hiring present day, outside pattern designers to make their "historic patterns." So I wouldn't trust it to be 100% accurate. I don't have at hand my book with Simplicity's company history.

There is an email list on yahoogroups, called sewretro. The members work with the big-4 patterns all the time. They are VERY knowledgeable about reproduction historic patterns and can probably pin-point the date really well for you. The group focuses on sewing from 1930-1960s. The group's URL is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sewretro/ The members are also very helpful with sewing advice.

Good luck! It sounds like a fun project. 1940s suits have fun details in topstitching and pockets. I would love to see the finished product!

Penny Ladnier
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
11 websites of fashion, textiles, costume history