From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Carol Kocian
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:50 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] 18th century Tricorn hats ....round
heads...not!...maybe

      The purpose of the point over the left eye was so the musket
barrel would not hit it.

      There are probably caricatures of hats being worn back on the
head, but the fashion was straight.

      I remember hearing that 17thC hats were round rather than oval,
and the distortion when worn caused the fashionable undulation of the
brim. That doesn't happen when the brim is cocked up. Stretching the
hat to oval will change the shape a bit, but not the the extent that
it's visible with a free brim.

      Carol