That was what I thought, as well.  Anyone else out there with a different
definition of "died in the wool"?

Ginni

>>> "e...@huskers.unl.edu" <e...@huskers.unl.edu> 4/22/09 1:35 PM >>>
I'd always thought (and I have no idea where I heard it, I've "known" it for so
long, I've never second-guessed it) that "dyed in the wool" was referring to
dying the wool fiber before it was spun, as opposed to being yarn-dyed or dyed
as yardage.

Emma
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On Behalf Of
albert...@aol.com [albert...@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:33 PM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Dyeing linen wool blend

Your dilemma is interesting. In "What Clothes Reveal" a linen/wool blend is
 referred to as linsey-woolsey (for obvious reasons) in the 18th century,
and  somewhere they talk about cloth "dyed in the wool"...where a wool blend
is dyed  and the wool takes the dye more or differently from the other fiber
producing a  textured effect. Assuming the wool takes the dye more, that
would I guess be  dying it for the wool not the other fibers. Very accurate
for the 18th century,  but I'll bet this type of thing goes way back.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.