Some of the silk brocades I use are taken from medieval patterns, and are
woven to order, with a minimum of around three or four metres.

They work out at around £90ish or £100ish per metre (or per just over a
yard).

One Italian velvet supplier has some gorgeous stuff - hand cut - a snip at
£1500(or so) per metre.

h-costume-requ...@indra.com writes:

At 03:01  AM 4/27/2009, you wrote:
>Elena House wrote:
>>Wow, you know,  this just suddenly put the whole medieval textile
>>industry into  perspective for me, since the type of design I most want
>>to see in  brocade is on average at least 50cm x 150cm repeat.  You  do
>>the math for the cost on that  one....
>
>*nods*
>
>I saw a nearly perfect all-silk  scarlet and yellow brocade, very
>medieval, at Britex, more than a  dozen years ago, for $150/yard.  I
>spent quite a while admiring  it.
>
>I suspect that there are suitable top of the line brocades  out
>there, it's just getting access to the catalogs that places like
>Britex uses for their ordering is impossible for the rest of  us.
>--
>Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

I had  the great pleasure of seeing (and touching!) some 100% silk
velvets  (plain, figured, and cut/uncut) hand-woven in Italy at last
month's  weavers' guild meeting here in Sacramento, CA.  I also found
out why  the fabrics are only 22-24 inches wide; the velvet wires that
are used to  get the pile cannot be kept straight in the weaving if
the fabric is too  wide.  Given that one weaver boasted that he could
weave 20 cm in a  day(!) of a figured velvet (our speaker thought that
he was possibly  exaggerating a bit), you can see why it costs 350
Euro per meter.   Velvets with cut and uncut sections are even more
expensive because they  are even more labor-intensive and require a
very steady hand in cutting  just the right portions of the pattern.
Even solid colored velvet is very  expensive.  So, yes, wearing the
worth of a manor on one's back is  not an exaggeration.

Joan Jurancich
joa...@surewest.net