> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Claire Clarke wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Some of you who were alive back then might not consider this historic
> > costume, but I thought this was a good place to ask this question. I was
> > recently reading 'The Gabriel Hounds' by Mary Stewart, which is set in
> > Lebanon in, I think the '60's (1960's that is). The narrator is English but
> > has been living in America and at one point describes herself as 'dressing
> > like an American'. I was curious how differently American and English women
> > might have dressed at this time. Is this another way of saying that she
> > dressed informally? Or wore trousers a lot?
> > -----------------------------------

I spent the 60s wearing coordinated Villager a-line skirt and cardigan combos
with Oxford cloth Peter Pan blouses.  Of course the skirt had to cover my knees
or I would have been sent home from school (and it was a public school).  I
suspect that was not the typical American costume--in fact, that is more or
less how I picture the typical English one--wool skirts and cardigans.  But
then mine was that kind of small town.  Things changed when I went to college,
of course, and discovered that you were allowed to wear jeans off the farm.

Not sure this helps answer your question, but it was a slice of 60s America.
Preppy (though my name is not Bunny and my father belonged to the Lodge rather
than the country club) before there was such a thing.

Jane in No VA, still wearing nearly the same thing now--jeans, loafers,
blazers, and button down shirts. Villager has gone out of business, of course,
so I have to make my skirts to get them dorky enough.  (Now my 18th century
clothing--THAT is another story!)