Could you describe more fully what you are terming a "coif" and a "headkerchief"?

The classic style for early 1300s is with the hair in knobs, loops or columns at the temples, with one piece of cloth ("wimple"?) round the throat, under the chin and pulled up to the temples and another ("veil"?) draped over the top of the head. They would certainly be linen, but of whatever weight suits you best. (The hair can be false pieces on a headband, or omitted if necessary.)

Jean

Cynthia J Ley wrote:
Hi all. My SCA persona's appr. time is 1312, England. A few months ago, I got my very long hair cut short; love it--no regrets. Made a sizable donation to Locks of Love, a charity I would encourage you to consider if you are getting your long hair cut. Anyway, the problem: My hair is naturally very wavy and has a lot of bounce. My summer coif isn't heavy enough to keep my hair down. Might anyone know if women of this period wore linen headkerchiefs? I'm trying to stay away from turbans--things like that give me headaches. Any links would be hugely appreciated!

Much thanks,
Arlys