The buttons at waist level are flat probably because some sort of belt was
worn over it, as depicted in many illustrations of the period.  Not certain
 about the top one - although it's been suggested that it was replaced at
some  point in its life - possibly while still in the hands of its original
owner.  Although something else may have been worn over the top.

It has nothing to do with armour - the de Blois 'pourpoint' is  not a
military garment - it is a civilian doublet padded to exaggerate the  chest and
hold the waistline in a "vice like grip".

If you don't have it, fashion in the age of the black prince has a section
that explains it in full detail.

Debbie