I did one with the skirt on a separate waist band and sewn to the bodice
from side seam to side seam, around the back.  The plackard was entirely
separate, boned and decorated to simulate the front of the chemise showing
through the open front of the gown.  It worked, with the strategic addition
of a large hook on the center-bottom of the plackard and a heavy thread loop
on the waistband.  The best way I found to hide the skirt opening, was to
move the opening to the side-front, giving room to get into the skirt and
still manipulate the fronts of the bodice.

My second attempt, the best one, was all soft, and meant to be worn over a
corset.  The plackard is sewn in to the front of the bodice on one side.
The skirt is cartridged directly to the bodice from one side of the open
front, around the back and  right on to the plackard to the other side.  The
skirt opening extends from that  meeting point down into the skirt, and is
invisible.  There is a Cranach, I think, that shows something like it.  Was
a long time ago, I don't remember which precisely I used.

Regina in L.A.
Used to be German