This is why I like redrawing books like Wilcox, to help get an idea of what was
available during any given time period as an overview. From there, I can then
dig into the images of the time period in question, hunting for whatever
specific style I want, as many images as I can find, to better get the real
details of whatever it is I am going for.

As to actual resources... there are too many for me to count, since I go with
portrait pieces, other images of the time, and illuminations. It can take
awhile to collect what you need. Depending on the time period, I can offer some
suggested art sites, or collection sites where others have done the collecting
of images already. My favorite is also collecting history and image books in
general, since they offer many images of the time period. But that can be iffy
when they toss in Victorian woodcuts as often as they do contemporary images,
and older ones don't tell you much about the image other than maybe a name,
some of which has since been switched to someone else.

Not helping much, sorry.

Kimiko