I use corset lacing . You can get it at Lacis. The good thing about it is
that you buy it by the yard, so you can have over 6 yards (typical ribbon
spool) if you want/need it.

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Laurie Taylor
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:39 PM
To: 'Historical Costume'
Subject: [h-cost] Lacing question

Hi,

Getting ready for Costume College and have a last minute issue.  Could have
asked this on the CGW list, but thought the larger group here might give a
larger range of answers/ideas.

What do you use for lacing your various types of corsets and/or stays?  When
I think about going to the local fabric store and buying the cotton cord
that I would normally use as filling in pipings, I just can't see using it
on stays, especially late 18th/early 19th century.  Rattail certainly would
not work either.  What do you use that isn't too bulky or to hard, or too
prone to slipping out of the tie?

Right now, for convenience and in the interest of stash reduction, I'm using
1/8" and 1/4" silk ribbon, leftover from my last round of silk ribbon
embroidery.  It's not very satisfactory, but I could not figure out a good
alternative.

Thanks.

Laurie T.
Phoenix