> Hi all,
The thread on lacing was very timely as it got me going again on my > late 1820s outfit so on to the questions. I'm looking at doing a late > 1820s outfit from the skin out (I already have Fran's excellent book) > and am not finding undergarments specifically dated to 1828. This is > a transition period from the classical Regency look into the big gigot > sleeves so the sleeve heads are large but not huge, the waistline has > crept down to about the natural waist, maybe a little high but not > right up under the bust. Classic Regency corsets are too short but a > later corset (Edwardian) gives the wrong profile.

As you already have _The Lady's Stratagem_, you'll note that the instructions and diagrams on corset making were published in the late 1820s, and the corset styles date from that period. The material on pages 261-281 was published in 1829, and the material on pages 282-303 was published in 1828. However, the corset diagram on page 304, though published in 1825, is a rather earlier style.

The instructions for shifts on pages 369-370 are from the 1825 source, and I drew the diagrams myself, following the measurements in the instructions. However, shift styles did not change as rapidly as some others.

You'll find the material on petticoats, chemisettes, and so forth from looking in the index. I found no references to drawers except for the ones on page 73 and 222.

Chapter 8, which details the process of getting dressed, contains many references and inferences to what constituted an outfit and how its components were made, as well as how to put it on. Likewise, Chapter 16, om mending and alterations.

Note that the various references to supporting the late 1820s sleeves that I found, refer to lining/stiffening them with buckram, and some to boning them here and there, but not to a special support undergarment.

Hope this helps.

Fran
Lavolta Press
New book on 1820s clothing!