albert...@aol.com wrote:

> I find the Past Patterns corset pattern #708 to be a very useful > pattern. I know they mark it as 1840-1880, but I find that it could work > for 1829. It's that gusset construction... basically a cylinder with gussets added to compensate for the swell of the bust and hips.... that kind of construction lends itself to the earlier part of the mid-19th century. For the 1820's you might want to elongate the bottom of the corset some. Maybe not put a split busk but a solid wide one in front and even add shoulder straps. But the basic (and really lovely) shape of this corset can easily work, even with a waist 1" or so above natural level.

When I was researching 1820s stays, for the earlier style, the one from the 1825 source I used, I could definitely see the philosophy of starting with straight pieces of material and then adding bust and hip gussets to accommodate the body curves.

You are right about the shoulder straps. I found instructions and diagrams for 13 kinds of 1820s stays to put in _The Lady's Stratagem_, including half stays (also known as morning belts), night stays (also known as brassieres), elastic stays, and various put-them-on-by-yourself stays. Every single one of them has shoulder straps.

Fran
Lavolta Press
New book on 1820s clothing!
http://www.lavoltapress.com